Favourite Episode?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rarity
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Rarity

Favourite Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Favourite Episode?   Favourite Episode? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 2:00 am

So how about dat new episode eh? Wait, still hasn't happened yet. Ah well, guess I don't have mystical future sight after all, or the ability to speed up the time until Season 2 comes out.

As such, this board needs some breaking into, and since Season 2 seems like forever and a half away we have a couple of options available to us. The first is the most obvious, discuss the old episodes. In all likeliness we're going to gravitate discussion towards our favourite episodes. This brings us to the second option and the topic of this thread. What is(are) your favourite episode(s)? What is(are) your least favourite episode(s)? What are the reasonings behind all these decisions? And most importantly, why is Rarity the best pony ever? Ok, perhaps that's a slight miss-direction of topic there, but never the less.

I'll start off the discussion shall I? Favourite episode... probably is going to be a tie between Cutie Mark Chronicles, and Party of One, with Look Before You Sleep coming in at a very close second tied with Boast Busters. I shall explain why each of them is in that position in a moment, but first! Least favourite episode. Probably Owls Well that Ends Well.

NOW FOR REASONS!

I really like Cutie Mark Chronicles because I really enjoyed watching the fillies of all the mane cast. It was the one episode that I was most looking forward to in the entire season, and the only episode that I can say I had extremely high hopes for and it surpassed them (The other episode that I had extremely high hopes for was The Best Night Ever, but it only met those expectations which kinda made me not like it for a while.) Just saying now the best back stories are, in order, Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash (RD gets last because we actually already knew about how she got her cutie mark from Call of the Cutie, and primarily served dual purpose as a mcguffan for the CMC and a tie for the other backstories.) Rarity gets knocked down a few bits for being extremely sensationalist in her story causing inconsistency, and of course the WTF play that is in the back story. I mean what purpose does adding rhinestones to everything serve? But I suppose I shouldn't complain, as if she didn't do that she might have gotten a different cutie mark. Something unfabulous.

I also really like Party of One, but for a less solid reason than Cutie Mark Chronicles. It holds a special place in my heart for being the first episode that I macroed (And likely will USE that macro sometime, even if I'm Rarity and not Pinkie Pie. It's just too damn good not to use). But I also really like it because it was one of those episodes that showed that this is not a show necessarily kid friendly at all times. It does have a few sharp edges, and I do kinda like sharp things. Preferably sharp dressers but I digress. Party of One had some hilarious moments in it, along with a seriously creepy turn that could almost be considered [Grimdark]. I could easily have seen Pinkie Pie snapping and mass-murdering her friends to create stuffed effaces of them in an attempt to regain their friendship through artifical means, she seemed that mad to me and I kinda liked it. It was almost the same reaction I had to American McGee's Alice, a happy-go-lucky character with bounds of innocence suddenly turning into some sort of mass murderer. And if you're wondering why I'm not including Psycoshy in this, I'll digress to explain that really quick. Psycoshy seemed less like a mass murderer as more of a pent up mad genius, minus the genius part. During her brief time on screen she seemed more angry than truly crazy, and she snapped out of it much quicker than Pinkie Pie does with Insane Pie. The differences and similarities I could go into a long rant about, but I'll save that for another time. For now, I suppose I'll close on this episode and get onto my second favourites.

Look Before You Sleep has always been a high point on any list of episodes I make. I really like the way Applejack and Rarity play off each other, each aggravating the other in what I could almost say a sibling like way. It really kinda reminds me of some of the interactions I've had with my niece, though the criteria was really different. In short she's a bit of an airhead and I'm (generally) down to earth. Valley Girl Vs Goth you could almost say (Though I'm not much of a Goth any more. Kinda moved on to other things, still retain vestiges of that time though.) The mane reason I like this episode though, is Twilight Sparkle. I'm not entirely sure if she's ignoring Rarity and Applejack's row (Which sometimes does happen at sleepovers when two people start going at it, the host just tries to ignore their arguments and put of a good show of faith in them that everything will work out) or if she's truly aloof throughout the entire thing with a few notable exceptions (Such as the Truth or Dare segment, or the fighting over sheets. Never had a problem with sheets at all of my sleep overs as we usually just bunked in the living room in our sleeping bags.)

Boast Busters is candidate for my second favourite episode for two reasons. The first is that it has THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE in it, a pony that in my eyes is only shown up by Rarity and Twilight. (So, for you lot who are keeping score at home, my current top three ponies are, in order, Rarity, Twilight, and Trixie. Again, for you lot who are keeping score at home and have previously talked to me about favourite ponies and pony types, I still maintain that the best pony type is Pegasus, with Earth being next and Unicorn being last. Funny how the score plays out isn't it?) Trixie is just so much fun to watch, being a total poser. She's my favourite one-shot pony, third favourite pony over all, and has appeared in no less than three of my seven currently published fics. Six out of twelve if you count the individual parts of my multi-parters, comprising up of half of my fan fictions, and being the pony I write most about. I can get into the reasons for that later, when I feel like glorifying Trixie and hunting for ways to play with her personality more. The other reason is this has one of my favourite Rarity moments of all time. "You may think you're tough but there's more to magic than your brutish ways. A unicorn needs to be more than just muscle. A Unicorn needs to have style, a Unicorn is not a unicorn without grace and beauty." *Flash of Magic* "QUICK! I NEED A MIRROR! GET ME A MIRROR! WHAT DID SHE DO TO MY HAIR? I KNOW SHE DID SOMETHING TERRIBLE TO MY HAIR!" "Nothing." "It's fine" "It's gorgeous" "It's green." "Green hair! NOT GREEN HAIR! SUCH AN AWFUL AWFUL COLOUR!" Yeah, seeing Rarity get her hair turned green just makes me laugh every time, and I love it. On a less related note, this episode also spawned my phone's ringtone, Rarity going 'Oh It Is ON!" so I'll have to mention that.

Finally my least favourite episode, Owls Well That Ends Well. Well, this was the only episode to truly disappoint me in any way. It's not saying that it's a bad episode by any means. The episode can stand on its own, just like any of the episodes in the series. I suppose the reason I dislike this episode is because it's a Spike centred episode, but not because of Spike being the centre of attention, but rather the way Spike was portrayed. I honestly think they bent and possibly broke his character some to get this episode to work. Plus it uses one of my least favourite and most hated jokes of all time. The owl 'who' joke, where the owl can only say 'who' and everyone takes that as if it were a question. I hate this joke for two reasons. One, it's been run into the ground from being used so often, I'm just sick of hearing it. Two, owls don't actually say 'who' when they call, and every owl that I've ever heard has never sounded anything that could be amounted to 'who'. The ONE TIME I ever chuckled at a 'who' owl joke was a Madmax comic (I think it was Madmax at any rate) where Dr. Whoof goes "I'm the doctor", Owlicious goes "Who?" and Whoof replies "Just the Doctor." That made me chuckle, as opposed to someone trying to communicate with an owl and getting frustrated because all they're getting back is the word 'who'

And there's my novel of my favourite and least favourite episode(s). What about you lot? Also posting at Midnight FTW
Back to top Go down
Fluttershy
Founder Mane
Founder Mane
Fluttershy

Favourite Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Episode?   Favourite Episode? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 2:37 am

Favourite Episode? 5uPa1

Now THAT'S a well reasoned post. I was just expecting a small list, but fully detailed explanations work too. I would have to go with Dragonshy, Winter Wrap-Up, Suited for Success, Sonic Rainboom, and Green Isn't your color. If I had to choose one of those it would probably be Dragonshy. I just can't get enough of Fluttershy.

BTW, first post including a pony image on this board. I'm such a pioneer.
Back to top Go down
http://swtorponies.enjin.com/home
Pinkie Pie
Event Mane
Event Mane
Pinkie Pie

Favourite Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Episode?   Favourite Episode? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:50 am

My favorite episodes are, in descending order, Cutie Mark Chronicles, Party of One, and Bridle Gossip. My least favorite is The Show Stoppers. Like Rarity, I too like to over-analyze the show, so prepare for another longer post.

My favorite thing about this show is the amazing level of character development. It's impressive for any television show, let alone one intended for kids, let alone one intended for girls. That is why Cutie Mark Chronicles is my favorite episode, it's jam-packed with character development. Even the CMC gets a bit of it, even though they are only really there as a framing device. I could tell from the synopsis exactly what the plot of the episode was going to be, but, like Rarity said, it still wildly exceeded my expectations. Each of the stories was different, and represented different ways that people can discover who they are. Some people know exactly who they want to be from a young age, and just need the right opportunity to make it happen (Rarity). Some people think they know what they want, and have to learn who they really are the hard way (Applejack). Others stumble into it through sheer dumb luck (Fluttershy). I could go on, but you get the idea.

I have loved the character of Pinkie Pie from the very beginning. During the first few episodes of the series, I couldn't stop thinking to myself "Why don't I hate this character?" She is perky, hyper, silly, and unflappably cheerful, which by all logic should annoy the crap out of me. I eventually just accepted it (much like the characters on the show). However, as the season went on, my love for her began to slip. The reason for this is she lacked the character development that the others were getting. For example, in the episodes that were centered around her, she never had to learn a moral lesson. In Griffon the Brush-Off, Swarm of the Century, and Feeling Pinkie Keen, she was the one who was right all along, and the others had to learn a lesson from her. When I read the synopsis for Party of One, I hoped that it would finally give her some much needed development. Boy howdy, they did not disappoint me. We get to see a completely different side of her personality, but despite it being so strikingly different from her "normal" self, if feels completely believable. I like to think that the show's creators put this episode as second to last on purpose. Seeing Pinkie be so unfazed by anything for 24 episodes made the impact of Party of One that much more powerful.

Bridle Gossip has one of the best executed morals of any episode. Despite "don't judge a book by its cover" being such a painfully cliche statement, the show presents it in an original way that both kids and adults can benefit from. But the main reason I like this episode is that it's funny as hell. It has conversations about zombies, sarcastic Twilight, a silly Pinkie song, a joke referencing alcohol, goofy sight gags, slapstick, and of course, FlutterGuy. Flutterguy is the single funniest thing in the entire series, hands down.

I was severely annoyed by The Show Stoppers when I first saw it. It has grown on me a lot more since then, but it is still my least favorite. Let me get this out of the way: I like the CMC, or at least I want to. They are good characters, but the writers don't seem to know what to do with them. The reason I disliked it so much at first, is because it immediately follows Stare Master, and I watched them back-to-back. "We are seriously doing this same plot for a THIRD time?" I asked myself. The most frustrating thing is that the characters never develop, advance, or learn anything. There isn't even a letter to Celestia explaining what lesson was learned, because there wasn't any! In fact, they are even more clueless than when they started, because now they think they have a talent for comedy. Thank Celestia they didn't continue that joke into Cutie Mark Chronicles. Like I said though, the characters are good, and I like the other CMC episodes, but they just need the same care and attention that the mane cast has gotten.

TL:DR version: BlastingGravy loves character development, and hates the lack thereof. Smile
Back to top Go down

Favourite Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Episode?   Favourite Episode? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Well I'm not entirely sure. I have only watched most of the episodes once. I can definitely say that this is my favourite scene of the season though

So awesome:

not my favourite episode by far though.

Party of one is definitely going to be up there though. Mainly because I was not expecting a psychotic breakdown in a children's TV programme. The writing in that episode was just excellent I thought and it was the first real episode that focused around Pinkie Pie's personality more. So I'm just going to say that one.
Back to top Go down
Doombah
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Doombah

Favourite Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Episode?   Favourite Episode? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 4:16 pm

Favorite episode...huh. That's a tough one. I'll start with my LEAST favorite, though: Over A Barrel. Sorry, it just didn't do it for me. When shows take their main characters out of the familiar setting, it doesn't usually end well. This was no exception. I think the best part of this episode is the candlelit conversation between the manes at the beginning. It wasn't terrible, but it's certainly my least favorite.

The one episode I find myself watching all the time is The Cutie Mark Chronicles. I've seen that more than any of the others (close runners up are The Best Night Ever and Suited For Success). I'm just really intrigued by the back stories of the mane six and the interaction with the Crusaders is also funny.

Part of One.

...I hesitate to talk about it because it's near the top of SO many people's lists. Not just here, but in general. It wasn't a bad episode and it let us see just how effing neurotic Pinkie Pie is. Here's my big problem with that episode as well as Feeling Pinkie Keen: the focus is all about Pinkie Pie. I don't think i'll get flamed here, but Pinkie Pie is ABSOLUTELY my least favorite of the mane six and i'd even put her below other characters in the show (Celestia, Spike, etc...). I understand her place in the show and the fact that her extreme extroversion counters Fluttershy's extreme introversion, but i'm still not a huge fan. She makes me laugh, but that's just the nature of her character. She could do just about anything and it would be funny. Except, you know...torture and cook Rainbow Dash. That's not funny. Mostly.

Fluttershy is my favorite pony on the show. I know other people can't stand her, but I suppose that's the same with my dislike of Pinkie. I'm sure there are people reading this going 'WTF is wrong with you? Pinkie is the BEST pony in Equestria!'. Smile

I guess that's about it.

~D
Back to top Go down

Favourite Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Episode?   Favourite Episode? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Well maybe a character who seems like she has a mix of ADHD and Autism and is borderline psychotic isn't for everyone then.
Back to top Go down
Rarity
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Rarity

Favourite Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Episode?   Favourite Episode? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Amorphic wrote:
Well maybe a character who seems like she has a mix of ADHD and Autism and is borderline psychotic isn't for everyone then.

I'd hesitate to label Pinkie Pie with Autism, but possibly Bi-Polar or some other Manic/Depressive disorder. The thing is, with Manic/Depressive people, they can get locked into a manic mode where they are usually cheery, bubbly, and outgoing. However sometimes they will 'crash' into a depressive state that shows introversion, unwillingness to cooperate, and sometimes outright violence. The trigger between the two varies between person to person, and the time effected can vary too. I'd still hesitate to diagnose her with that as well though, primarily because Manic/Depressive people often can't just quickly spring between the two as Pinkie Pie did, and are more random with their mood swings.
Back to top Go down

Favourite Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Episode?   Favourite Episode? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:11 pm

Not that this is at all on topic but Pinkie Pie obviously has a problem with differentiating between sarcasm and sincerity. The whole sincerely believing RD thought FS was a tree.

But whatever, I find it impossible to describe Pinkie Pie's character. But I like her, more than Applejack and rarity anyway.
Back to top Go down
Tailz120
Filly
Filly
Tailz120

Favourite Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Hmm...   Favourite Episode? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 12:07 am

My favorite would have to be Suited for Success. Rarity isn't even my favorite pony. But it is the highest quality episode in my opinion, next to The Best Night Ever. With a catchy song, eleven different dress designs, and the fashion show at the end, I just love it.

Least favorite would probably be the one with Owlicious. I just don't like that owl.
Back to top Go down
Rarity
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Rarity

Favourite Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Episode?   Favourite Episode? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 3:08 am

Amorphic wrote:
Not that this is at all on topic but Pinkie Pie obviously has a problem with differentiating between sarcasm and sincerity. The whole sincerely believing RD thought FS was a tree.

But whatever, I find it impossible to describe Pinkie Pie's character. But I like her, more than Applejack and rarity anyway.

That's not Autism, that's something else... I want to say Sociopathism? I'm not sure. Autistic people often have trouble communicating with the outside world, but not as if they don't always understand people. They also have a trouble identifying with people on the same level, as if they were in their own little world so to speak. Neither of these qualities strike me as being 'Pinkie Pie'. She's able to communicate with her friends quite well, albeit in her own unique way she's still able to get her point across and understand other people. The only time there was a lack of communication was in Swarm of the Century, where I would presume she figured that a full-explanation would take too long hurrying to save Ponyville, plus the unwillingness to communicate that her friends showed. As for the not connecting with people, Pinkie Pie obviously shares a strong connection with her friends, and why wouldn't she? She throws them parties probably on a bi-monthly, maybe even weekly basis. As we see in Party of One she is eager for attention by throwing another party, not something an autistic person would generally do.

And since you say it's impossible to describe Pinkie Pie's Character, I have decided I'd do it for you, opened this thread for discussion, and we can continue this argument there. Besides I don't think you ever posted what your favourite/least favourite episode was. Why don't ya share?
Back to top Go down
Chewbacabra
Pony
Pony
Chewbacabra

Favourite Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Episode?   Favourite Episode? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 2:29 am

Replying before I read other posts so my opinion will not be swayed (not that it could possibly be.)

Party Of One is one of the most perfect episodes of television I have ever witnessed. Everypony was in character, the story flowed well, and almost every little touch made the episode even better. The fact that a children's cartoon would go such a dark route with its happiest character really impressed me. It is the first episode I bought on iTunes immediately after watching.

Sonic Rainboom is a close number two, and has the best sixty seconds in pony history, but Party of One is a stronger episode overall.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Favourite Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Episode?   Favourite Episode? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite Episode?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top