EA gets exclusive deal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fluttershy
Founder Mane
Founder Mane
Fluttershy

EA gets exclusive deal Empty
PostSubject: EA gets exclusive deal   EA gets exclusive deal I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 8:34 pm

They get to publish all major Star Wars titles now.

http://www.ea.com/news/ea-and-disney-team-up-on-new-star-wars-games

At least Disney is using their new IP. Hopefully DICE and Visceral will keep true to their titles and EA will stay away from the development process. I'd like to see Battlefront 3 as much as the next guy, but not if it means becoming a Call of Duty reskin.
Back to top Go down
http://swtorponies.enjin.com/home
Shinjiro
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Shinjiro

PostSubject: Re: EA gets exclusive deal   EA gets exclusive deal I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 12:55 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EA gets exclusive deal   EA gets exclusive deal I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 9:34 am

Shinjiro wrote:
https://imgur.com/a/Ljyoe

Yes because we should just trust that EA won't fuck everything up.

And Dead Space 3, Battlefield 3 and everything Bioware made after 2009 aren't really what I would call great games. The Bioware that made KOTOR is dead. I really do not trust any of those 3 companies to make a good star wars game.

EA is a dysfunctional company that destroys everything it touches.
Back to top Go down
Fluttershy
Founder Mane
Founder Mane
Fluttershy

PostSubject: Re: EA gets exclusive deal   EA gets exclusive deal I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:13 am

Amorphic wrote:
Shinjiro wrote:
https://imgur.com/a/Ljyoe

Yes because we should just trust that EA won't fuck everything up.

And Dead Space 3, Battlefield 3 and everything Bioware made after 2009 aren't really what I would call great games. The Bioware that made KOTOR is dead. I really do not trust any of those 3 companies to make a good star wars game.

EA is a dysfunctional company that destroys everything it touches.
I have to agree with Amorphic on this one. DICE and Visceral's latest releases haven't been spectacular in my opinion (Dead Space series moved closer to shooter and away from survival horror, Battlefield has obtained copy/paste status), and there is no way BioWare is going to make a Star Wars RPG when SWTOR is under their command.

While Battlefront 3 from DICE makes sense and seems likely, I doubt it will have the same feel as its predecessors. As for Visceral, I think a game like Jedi Academy or the Force Unleashed are up their ally. As for BioWare, if they do get to create a Star Wars title it probably won't be any time soon. Their studios are quite loaded as it is with supposedly a new Mass Effect series, Dragon Age III, and maintaining an MMORPG.
Back to top Go down
Shinjiro
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Shinjiro

PostSubject: Re: EA gets exclusive deal   EA gets exclusive deal I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 12:09 pm

BF3 is a great game. Stuffs like this make it great.

Fluttershy wrote:
Battlefield has obtained copy/paste status
What do you mean by this? If it's the copy/paste of COD thing, you can't run and gun in BF3 like COD, there are also vehicles. It's familiar in general,but aren't all FPS like that?

ME2 is great,hence the huge hype for ME3 and everything before the ending in ME3 is amazing imo.
I can't comment on DS however as i do not play it.

Well,at least it won't be worse than SW Kinect.
Back to top Go down
Fluttershy
Founder Mane
Founder Mane
Fluttershy

PostSubject: Re: EA gets exclusive deal   EA gets exclusive deal I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Shinjiro wrote:
BF3 is a great game. Stuffs like this make it great.

Fluttershy wrote:
Battlefield has obtained copy/paste status
What do you mean by this? If it's the copy/paste of COD thing, you can't run and gun in BF3 like COD, there are also vehicles. It's familiar in general,but aren't all FPS like that?

ME2 is great,hence the huge hype for ME3 and everything before the ending in ME3 is amazing imo.
I can't comment on DS however as i do not play it.

Well,at least it won't be worse than SW Kinect.
My point is that what makes Battlefield a great game isn't what makes Battlefront great. While they share similar qualities (large scale battles, class based combat, vehicle driven maps), it doesn't mean because someone has made multiple great Battlefield games means they can make a great Battlefront game, especially when its entirely different studio.

What I mean by copy/paste is this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_(series)#Games

This adds to why they're all good, because they are literally the same game reskinned with a tweaked mechanic. The last time I saw significant change in the series was when it moved to 2142 and expanded vehicle and base gameplay with the giant floating player bases. This carried over to 3 but just reskinned it for modern designs. Yes, they are all good games, but they are becoming less varied with each release.

Mass Effect series is amazing and my gripes, one of which is the third installment's ending, are little. Dead Space one and two were good, three was mediocre.

If you're trying to convince me DICE, Visceral, and BioWare are capable studios I don't disagree. I'm sure all of these studios will produce great Star Wars titles in the future. My point is that they may not be titles fans would want or necessarily expect. It's a matter of experience with the IP, something only BioWare out of these three studios have. If DICE produces a Battlefront 3, people will want the Battlefront Pandemic studios created, not the Battlefront DICE produces.

To put it simply, just because you can paint the Mona Lisa doesn't make it the Mona Lisa. A good example is 343 Studios taking over Halo from Bungie. 343 did an excellent job of keeping Halo's overall style but the game feels different than any of Bungie's Halos. It can't be helped because it's not the same developer. If anything I would like Crytek UK to develop Battlefront 3 as they're the studio that absorbed the majority of Pandemic studios.

I could go on listing instances, but I'm sure you get my point.
Back to top Go down
Doombah
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Doombah

PostSubject: Re: EA gets exclusive deal   EA gets exclusive deal I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 4:52 pm

I want to see someone pick up Battlefront 3 and make it look and play like this. It's an hour long stream of what would have been. This was only shown 3 days ago.

http://www.twitch.tv//ptoponline/c/2241950

The game is clearly still in Alpha, but dear lord...I feel like it would have just been amazing.

I really want to see someone pick up 1313. It was a sad loss, then we found out it as all about Boba Fett which made it that much worse.

I'd love to see a new Jedi Knight game. Maybe set it down the road a ways. Maybe near where the books are currently with Kyle being a member of the Jedi Council.

While the Mass Effect series has placed itself as one of the best series in gaming history, I don't know that they can repeat the process. KOTOR was great. Jade Empire...not so much. Dragon Age: Origins sucked (to me). I got like, 6 hours in and couldn't deal with it. I played it after ME 1 and 2 and the fact that it didn't have full voice acting and wasn't ME in a fantasy setting was disappointing. Never played nor will I play the second one. Maybe one day a long time down the road.

Regardless of anything that happens, I hope that we get at least one or two really great SW games out of this deal. EA sucks and we all know that. Hopefully they just leave the companies alone to do their thing. If not, this is what will happen:

EA gets exclusive deal Ea_piz10

~D
Back to top Go down
Pinkie Pie
Event Mane
Event Mane
Pinkie Pie

PostSubject: Re: EA gets exclusive deal   EA gets exclusive deal I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Amorphic wrote:
And Dead Space 3, Battlefield 3 and everything Bioware made after 2009 aren't really what I would call great games.
Yes, because LucasArts had been doing a much better job of maintaining the quality of their games. Unamused
Fluttershy wrote:
My point is that what makes Battlefield a great game isn't what makes Battlefront great. While they share similar qualities (large scale battles, class based combat, vehicle driven maps), it doesn't mean because someone has made multiple great Battlefield games means they can make a great Battlefront game, especially when its entirely different studio.
I had to laugh at this, because to me they are virtually the same game. Right down to the identical "Conquest" primary gametype. I'm curious how you think they are different.
Back to top Go down
Fluttershy
Founder Mane
Founder Mane
Fluttershy

PostSubject: Re: EA gets exclusive deal   EA gets exclusive deal I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 6:07 pm

Pinkie Pie wrote:
Fluttershy wrote:
I had to laugh at this, because to me they are virtually the same game. Right down to the identical "Conquest" primary gametype. I'm curious how you think they are different.
  1. Different universes.
  2. Third-person view is more comfortable in Battlefront than Battlefield (opinion, of course).
  3. Battlefront 2's Hero & Villain system.
  4. Battlefront 2's Assault gametype (space combat and the heroes V. villains).

While I agree the core gameplay is very similar, the two game series still feel different and appeal to us for certain reasons. Pandemic did Battlefront excellent because of how they built it inside the established universe. Battlefield is a universe created by DICE itself so I'm not sure if they would do the IP justice. In other words, I'm not looking for a Battlefield game with a Star Wars skin, I'm looking for Battlefront.

This comes back to my example of Bungie Halo games versus 343's Halo 4. At the core they are the same thing with a few tweaks, but they feel and appeal to the user differently because both studios carry different images for the game series. I'm not saying DICE can't make an epic Battlefront, but not to set my expectations for it to be what Pandemic would have done (as displayed by the recently released alpha footage).
Back to top Go down
Shinjiro
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Shinjiro

PostSubject: Re: EA gets exclusive deal   EA gets exclusive deal I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 5:52 am

Fluttershy wrote:
What I mean by copy/paste is this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_(series)#Games

This adds to why they're all good, because they are literally the same game reskinned with a tweaked mechanic. The last time I saw significant change in the series was when it moved to 2142 and expanded vehicle and base gameplay with the giant floating player bases. This carried over to 3 but just reskinned it for modern designs. Yes, they are all good games, but they are becoming less varied with each release.

It's very tricky when it comes to trying new things without upsetting people. There's only the needs for more polishing if the core gameplay is already good and I'm pretty sure that most BF fans just want a new BF2/BF2142 with BF3's graphic.
Back to top Go down
Derpy
Mane
Derpy

PostSubject: Re: EA gets exclusive deal   EA gets exclusive deal I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 12:29 pm

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124027-DICE-LA-Open-For-Star-Wars-Business

Time to start chanting: Battlerfront Battlerfront Battlerfront
Back to top Go down
Fluttershy
Founder Mane
Founder Mane
Fluttershy

PostSubject: Re: EA gets exclusive deal   EA gets exclusive deal I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Derpy wrote:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124027-DICE-LA-Open-For-Star-Wars-Business

Time to start chanting: Battlerfront Battlerfront Battlerfront
Aaaaand then Force Unleashed III is announced.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EA gets exclusive deal   EA gets exclusive deal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EA gets exclusive deal

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Star Ponies :: Community :: Sugarcube Cantina-