Star Ponies


 
HomeFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Requesting MLP enlightenment

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nycci
Filly
Filly


Posts : 4
Join date : 2012-06-02

PostSubject: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Hello people

I have been bugging fluttershy via pm on forums to get insight on bronies.

I don't watch the show, nor do I intend to. I"m not big on t.v. in general, most shows tend to suck the life out of me and put me to sleep. I understand that the show is great, characters are in depth. Kinda sounds warm and fuzzy. I just have a couple questions.


What made you watch MLP in the first place?

Why do you continue to watch it?

What do you truly get out of it?



As I've mentioned to fluttershy, I'm just curious. Don't really understand how young adults, especially men can really enjoy a cartoon that is directed towards young girls. I have always been closer to boys than girls, and I've seen that little boys typically like the same things as little girls when very young, its only as they grow older that society teaches them to not like the same things because they are "girly". But to see men liking MLP really messes with my head. Thanks for you're time and enlightenment. I am not critisizing or trying to be offensive, just my curiousity kills me sometimes.

See you in a swtor wz =)
Back to top Go down
Gregam
Pegasus
Pegasus
avatar

Posts : 320
Join date : 2011-08-24
Location : Salem, OR

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:58 pm

What made you watch MLP in the first place?

I had been wandering around the internet and had encountered a few ponies popping up. I asked my brother to see if he knew more. He knew a little bit about it. So he "downloaded" the first season and we started watching it.

Why do you continue to watch it?

I like the happiness that comes from it as well as the lessons it teaches. We didn't have cable or satellite when I was young, so I watched VHS of Winnie the Pooh, and Loony Tunes. Also I was raised on Disney. This show reminds me of those cartoons, especially with its writing.

What do you truly get out of it?

A ray of sunshine. It brings a good feeling into the home. My family needs this at the moment as well. When the world gets dark and they are stressed, we can watch these ponies being nice to each other and hope for a better future.
Back to top Go down
Pinkie Pie
Event Mane
Event Mane
avatar

Posts : 742
Join date : 2011-06-25
Location : Indianapolis, IN

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:17 am

What made you watch MLP in the first place?

A webcomic I frequent made a comic and news post about MLPFiM. He linked to the first episode on youtube, and since I had nothing better to do at the time, I gave it a shot.

Why do you continue to watch it?

It's good. Does there need to be a deeper reason? I like humor, complex characters, rich fictional worlds, and fun stories. No one questions that when I describe other shows.

What do you truly get out of it?

More than you would ever expect. I get enjoyment from watching the show of course, but the community is just amazing. Hundreds of thousands of people pumping out dozens of pieces of art daily, enough music to fill a playlist a week long, and fan fictions literally longer than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But most importantly, they are just nice people. Bronies try to be as friendly, open, and supportive as they can to everyone, and that's something you don't see often enough, especially in the cesspool known as the internet.

_________________
"I like phalluses."

- Kaizu
Back to top Go down
Derpy
Mane
avatar

Posts : 1195
Join date : 2011-10-10
Location : England, Russia or Czech

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:11 am

What made you watch MLP in the first place?

Hype on the internet, was bored one evening and decided to see i's all about. Before I knew, it was morning and I was halfway through the first season.

Why do you continue to watch it?

I enjoy the jokes, particularly the oneliners and references (there is a whole A New Hope style celebration at the end of season 2 opener.) It also deals well with conflict and has made a move towards continuity, particularly in season 2 which is geared more towards bronies. I also like the fact that the creators have embraced this unexpected fandom and show their appreciation (there are many nods to bronies in the show).

What do you truly get out of it?

The first thing is obvious: this guild, I got a bunch of new friends via the show. Also the fandom is amazing, and the original artwork and music is of a high standard (don't get me wrong there is a dark side in the form of R34 but I try to avoid that.)

_________________
Victory and a Muffin!
Rule 34(b) of the Interwebz: If it exists, there is a pony of it.

Derpyn, Toughen, Bluffin, Roughen, Flithy-rich, Ironwill, Timberwulf, Ahuizotl
Back to top Go down
crazyBE
Unicorn
Unicorn
avatar

Posts : 881
Join date : 2011-12-20
Location : Belgium

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:02 pm

You might get offended by this so I put it in a spoiler tag

Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
Holo
Pony
Pony
avatar

Posts : 78
Join date : 2012-01-16
Location : Colorado

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:57 pm

What made you watch MLP in the first place?
The notorious /b war and friends becoming bronies

Why do you continue to watch it?
BECAUSE IT'S GOOD!! Well animated with even better voice acting. Jokes are clever and random, pony faces are amazing (cute - psycho) and is loaded with references from tv and movies past. Not to mention the overall feel of the show is "Love and Tolerate" which this entire planet could use more of.

What do you truly get out of it?
It makes me happy, as if all the violence, hatred, bigotry and greed we see in our daily lives vanishes, if for only a half-hour at a time. And just like a Disney movie it's made for parents to watch with kids and not be BORED STIFF

And my own 2 cents:
We know most people don't consider us NORMAL for liking a show GEARED at little girls. That something must be wrong with us, but in todays world what can be considered NORMAL?? And by who's rules is being normal judged?? If anything, we're more secure with our manhood and ourselves then those trying to ridicule us. Finally does it really fuckin matter why we like it?? NO, just like it doesn't matter why other people like the crap they do, they'll still enjoy it regardless of what is said, and so will we.
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID


Last edited by Holo on Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Twilight Sparkle
Colt
Colt
avatar

Posts : 289
Join date : 2011-06-17
Location : Studying Friendship in Ponyville

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:02 pm

crazyBE wrote:

Nycci wrote:
Don't really understand how young adults, especially men can really enjoy a cartoon that is directed towards young girls.

Who ever said it was made for young girls only?

Just gonna put this out there - They never said it was MADE for young girls but DIRECTED (That was the intended target audience) towards them. Read that and thought I would clarify

Also instead of answering your questions specifically I'm gonna do it in a very short response because I am busy doing work and watching E3

I like it. It brings me enjoyment, and I will continue to watch/do things that bring me enjoyment.

Back to top Go down
crazyBE
Unicorn
Unicorn
avatar

Posts : 881
Join date : 2011-12-20
Location : Belgium

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:30 am

Twilight Sparkle wrote:
crazyBE wrote:

Nycci wrote:
Don't really understand how young adults, especially men can really enjoy a cartoon that is directed towards young girls.

Who ever said it was made for young girls only?

Just gonna put this out there - They never said it was MADE for young girls but DIRECTED (That was the intended target audience) towards them. Read that and thought I would clarify

Maybe in the beginning it was. I look at season 2 and I don't see something DIRECTED towards young girls.
Back to top Go down
Applejack
Unicorn
Unicorn
avatar

Posts : 665
Join date : 2011-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:45 am

crazyBE wrote:
Twilight Sparkle wrote:
crazyBE wrote:

Nycci wrote:
Don't really understand how young adults, especially men can really enjoy a cartoon that is directed towards young girls.

Who ever said it was made for young girls only?

Just gonna put this out there - They never said it was MADE for young girls but DIRECTED (That was the intended target audience) towards them. Read that and thought I would clarify

Maybe in the beginning it was. I look at season 2 and I don't see something DIRECTED towards young girls.

Didn't Lauren say she wanted to make it a show that kids and their parents could watch together and both of them get entertainment out of it meaning it wasn't made just for young girls.
Back to top Go down
Pinkie Pie
Event Mane
Event Mane
avatar

Posts : 742
Join date : 2011-06-25
Location : Indianapolis, IN

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:23 am

Applejack wrote:
Didn't Lauren say she wanted to make it a show that kids and their parents could watch together and both of them get entertainment out of it meaning it wasn't made just for young girls.
Precisely this. Lauren wanted to make a show that parents (of any gender) could enjoy with their kids. She never expected or intended it to be watched by young adults without children, but she is fully supportive of it.

_________________
"I like phalluses."

- Kaizu
Back to top Go down
Wilowah
Colt
Colt
avatar

Posts : 282
Join date : 2011-11-28
Location : Virginia, United States, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:19 pm

Just so you know, I probably won't fully answer all of these questions. I'll probably forget something. So I'll give both a simple and a complicated answer to try and get the most across.

What made you watch MLP in the first place?

Simple: A friend was obsessive over it.

Complicated: A friend of mine was mentioning how the first episode of MLP had rainbow beams being shot at villains with all sorts of action and the like. A couple months later, about the day my first cat passed away, I decided I'd give it a shot to cheer me up / distract me. I think I finished the first season within three days (I had five labs that semester).


Why do you continue to watch it?

Simple: PONIES MAGIC AWESOMENESS

Complicated: Well, my initial reason for staying into it was probably all the pretty art and the superb writing, up to and including all of the humor. The letters of Celestia are often the main selling point I give to the show, because there really are some good lessons for children and adults in the show (even though I'm aware some overanalyizing people can go WELL IT WAS ACTUALLY BAD well NYEH to YOU). Anyways, I always look forward to the character interactions and craziness, as well as the amazing songs. Smile



What do you truly get out of it?

Simple:



Complicated:
Interaction with the community of Bronies is such a rewarding experience. All of the amazing artwork alone simply astounds me. From music to pencil drawings, there is all sorts of newly inspired artists who produce breathtaking work. I never drew so much until I decided I'd try my hand at drawing ponies! Now I put Pinkie Pie graffito on the public chalk board at the local coffee shop. Cupcaaakes~!
The people? Oh man, a good portion truly do embrace the friendship and tolerance aspects (even people in this guild Muffins!?!), and I love it.
Truly, this is one of the best internet and world-wide communities I have ever encountered, and I intend to stay part of it forever!
Back to top Go down
http://wilowah.tumblr.com/
Nycci
Filly
Filly


Posts : 4
Join date : 2012-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:41 pm

I knew some of you might get upset, with my questions.

I figured the responses I would get would be: I like it because I like it... Isn't that the simplist answer?

I have been harrassed and critisized forever for one thing or another. My problem is I open my big mouth and stick my foot in it constantly. People don't like it when you ask WHY, they instantly get defensive.

The reason I stated that it was "directed" not "made" for young girls is because my little ponies were basically dolls. I had many when I was younger. They were cute =) I enjoyed playing with them. I also had barbie dolls... but I hated baby dolls... so to each their own.

I figured there was a reason why you all continue to watch it, and the fan base is growing. It wouldn't be so popular and controversial if it was all just a joke. Kinda like South Park when it first came out, why the hell are we watching paper cut up toons on t.v.? Surely it wasn't the crappy art work that made it popular. It was the sick humor.

Now I asked you, because I don't know any bronies, I've never seen one nor even heard that someone around me might be one. I am surrounded by "manly men" with guns and trucks that like to go camping in the freaking snow, that like to stay warm by drinking more. Who's better to talk to than an actual bronie? I don't listen to rumors, I'd rather hear or see it for myself. Sadly I don't like t.v. even the couple shows I do like I rarely sit down and actually watch. Thank god for on demand... And you are the closest I will probably ever get to meeting a bronie.

I come from a very sick and twisted place =) Hence the "disturbed legacy". Sometimes the cutest things make the perfect innocent weapon. What's worse: being beaten by an ugly scary monster or by a cute and cuddly little angel?

Anyways thanks for the enlightenment. There's nothing wrong with liking a good show. It's always simple, we like what we like, because we like it. But some of us like more "in depth" things, less shallowness. And just because some of you answered so nicely I'll watch an episode. Do you try something new without word of mouth or recommendation? I do occasionally, depending on what it is. For this I just wanted more info.

See you in a wz.

BTW Derpius, if you read this. I don't think you can break my record... Granted you do hurt... a lot...
490k damage taken and 20 deaths in a single wz well that's pretty insanely painful wz to beat. Think I was guarded and had 1 or 2 pocket healers in that. Good luck sunshine!
Back to top Go down
Derpy
Mane
avatar

Posts : 1195
Join date : 2011-10-10
Location : England, Russia or Czech

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:27 pm

I do not believe any of us got truly upset by your question, in fact it is a question most of us have asked at a time. Also, bronies do not get upset easily, we know that what we do isn't 'normal' and we accept that. I have been lately asking myself the very same questions and I find that I am too 'invested' into the show and the fandom now to give properly objective answers.

But there is truth in CrazyBe's sentiment, You can get as much opinion as you want but there is no substitute to actually watching the show, so glad you chose to. Maybe don't start with Eps 1-2 as there are bits in it which make even the hardened bronies cringe. I would suggest 'Party of One', 'Lesson Zero' or 'Luna Eclipsed'. The finale of season 2 is also amazing but I would keep that for last. It helps to know some of the background first.

Also let's just watch Niccy slowly become a Brony/Pegasis now Very Happy A friend of mine who I have been gradually 'turning' showed me his Anthology background on his smart phone saying that 'he was not ashamed'.

_________________
Victory and a Muffin!
Rule 34(b) of the Interwebz: If it exists, there is a pony of it.

Derpyn, Toughen, Bluffin, Roughen, Flithy-rich, Ironwill, Timberwulf, Ahuizotl
Back to top Go down
Holo
Pony
Pony
avatar

Posts : 78
Join date : 2012-01-16
Location : Colorado

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Wow, and the foot in mouth continues... MANLY MEN... wtf? So guys watching ponies can't be considered manly?? Mmmk, then guys playing an MMORPG can't be considered a "MANLY MAN" with that f'd up logic. Since yer obviously a little close-minded lets break that mold a tad.

HI, I'm Holo: A brony
"I am a gaming/anime nerd
I drink, smoke and swear.
Own guns and swords,
I have played all sports
Snowboard every winter
I can camp, fish and hunt
Attend Rock Concerts frequently
And My vehicle is a pick-up”

Perhaps I out manly your friends?? I’ll admit to liking something unusual, rather then hating it without giving it a chance or because being a HATER is the COOL thing these days… Embrace your individuality and make your own opinions, to hell with what others think.
Back to top Go down
Nycci
Filly
Filly


Posts : 4
Join date : 2012-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Holo wrote:
Wow, and the foot in mouth continues... MANLY MEN... wtf? So guys watching ponies can't be considered manly?? Mmmk, then guys playing an MMORPG can't be considered a "MANLY MAN" with that f'd up logic. Since yer obviously a little close-minded lets break that mold a tad.

Yes the foot in mouth does continue. Especially when you aren't getting what I am trying to say. But forget it. Putting things in quotation marks don't seem to mean anything to you. And you missed my entire point, completely. Guess it went over your head, it's ok, most things go over my head too when I don't want to pay attention. If I'm so close minded why would I ask for an honest opinion from people that know the topic best? Obviously there is a miscommunication here. And you don't need to be so "defensive" about it.

A guy that enjoys MLP just about as "freakish" as girls that drink stout beer and pvp.... Jeez man.

**sigh**

BTW I did watch one, it made me laugh a bit. I was entertained for a little. Not really for me, but t.v. in general isn't for me. I can see why people would like it.
Back to top Go down
Gregam
Pegasus
Pegasus
avatar

Posts : 320
Join date : 2011-08-24
Location : Salem, OR

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:45 pm

Quote :
BTW I did watch one, it made me laugh a bit. I was entertained for a little. Not really for me, but t.v. in general isn't for me. I can see why people would like it.

Yay! Yay~!
Back to top Go down
Wilowah
Colt
Colt
avatar

Posts : 282
Join date : 2011-11-28
Location : Virginia, United States, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Darth Dreselus wrote:
I would suggest 'Party of One', 'Lesson Zero' or 'Luna Eclipsed'. The finale of season 2 is also amazing but I would keep that for last. It helps to know some of the background first.

Ahahaha, I forgot that my friends aren't even at those episodes yet. Man oh man will they be surprised. xD

Gregam wrote:
Quote :
BTW I did watch one, it made me laugh a bit. I was entertained for a little. Not really for me, but t.v. in general isn't for me. I can see why people would like it.

Yay! Yay~!

Double yay!
Back to top Go down
http://wilowah.tumblr.com/
crazyBE
Unicorn
Unicorn
avatar

Posts : 881
Join date : 2011-12-20
Location : Belgium

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:30 am

I knew some of you might get upset, with my questions.

None of us were upset before your post here. Just a little annoyed by the 100th person asking us 'Why do you like it?'
But then, even after all our replies to you and some of us trying to tell you the opposite, you bring up 'manly men' thus once again implying we're all sissies. Can't blame anyone for being upset with that and responding to it.
And after that you personally insult Holo some more by saying:
Nycci wrote:
Guess it went over your head, it's ok, most things go over my head too when I don't want to pay attention.
I suggest you stop with the insults before it gets serious. And don't try the 'you didn't get what I was trying to say' on me.
I get that you weren't trying to insult us but you did so anyways. Make up for your mistakes rather than putting the blame on others.




Quote :
The reason I stated that it was "directed" not "made" for young girls is because my little ponies were basically dolls. I had many when I was younger. They were cute =) I enjoyed playing with them. I also had barbie dolls... but I hated baby dolls... so to each their own.

Hey I had Barbie dolls as well when I was little Cool



Quote :

I come from a very sick and twisted place =) Hence the "disturbed legacy". Sometimes the cutest things make the perfect innocent weapon. What's worse: being beaten by an ugly scary monster or by a cute and cuddly little angel?

The monster. The cuddly angel will at least still be nice to you afterwards Wink




Quote :
Anyways thanks for the enlightenment. There's nothing wrong with liking a good show. It's always simple, we like what we like, because we like it. But some of us like more "in depth" things, less shallowness.

Once again something that can be taken the completely wrong way. It could mean you find us shallow.

Quote :
And just because some of you answered so nicely I'll watch an episode.

Don't watch it for us, watch it for yourself.
Back to top Go down
Holo
Pony
Pony
avatar

Posts : 78
Join date : 2012-01-16
Location : Colorado

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:14 pm

Nycci wrote:
Especially when you aren't getting what I am trying to say. But forget it. Putting things in quotation marks don't seem to mean anything to you. And you missed my entire point, completely. Guess it went over your head, it's ok, most things go over my head too when I don't want to pay attention. If I'm so close minded why would I ask for an honest opinion from people that know the topic best? Obviously there is a miscommunication here. And you don't need to be so "defensive" about it.
lol! lol! lol!
Now who's "defensive"? These weak shots at me aside...
I fully understand what your trying to do, now see what I was doing. Debating, I took a stereotype you used (yeah, I didn't like) and rolled with it. You could have countered or crumbled... you crumbled. Was my close minded comment necessary? No, but I wont retract it, nor would I ask someone else to defuse the situtation.
crazyBE wrote:
I suggest you stop with the insults before it gets serious. And don't try the 'you didn't get what I was trying to say' on me.
I get that you weren't trying to insult us but you did so anyways. Make up for your mistakes rather than putting the blame on others.
AGREED and I'm finished here.
(just because you don't want to offend people, doesn't make it OK when you do)
*That would make an excellent letter to the Princess*
Back to top Go down
Rydel
Unicorn
Unicorn
avatar

Posts : 829
Join date : 2011-08-11
Location : Orlando

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 pm

The PBS Idea Channel just posted a video that looks like it goes a lot in to what you're looking for. It's pretty short at 5 minutes, 2 of those just being about recent posts or upcoming shows.

Back to top Go down
http://rydelfox.deviantart.com
Nycci
Filly
Filly


Posts : 4
Join date : 2012-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Sorry I suck at writing. I can never seem to make words come out right. I guess I offended a few of you now. I'll stop. Although it's too late to take anything back, please forgive me. I've always been to blunt for most people. And I was trying to be careful. But ya I really do suck at writing.

Holo,

Super sorry, it was you that first sparked my interest in this guild in the first place. You guys seem to have so much fun figured I'd look into it. But as I mentioned I'm great at opening my big mouth and shoving my foot in it.

Back to top Go down
Gregam
Pegasus
Pegasus
avatar

Posts : 320
Join date : 2011-08-24
Location : Salem, OR

PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:52 am

Nycci wrote:
Sorry I suck at writing. I can never seem to make words come out right. I guess I offended a few of you now. I'll stop. Although it's too late to take anything back, please forgive me. I've always been to blunt for most people. And I was trying to be careful. But ya I really do suck at writing.

Holo,

Super sorry, it was you that first sparked my interest in this guild in the first place. You guys seem to have so much fun figured I'd look into it. But as I mentioned I'm great at opening my big mouth and shoving my foot in it.


At times it is hard to communicate things clearly. No worries! Smile

I enjoyed the questions. Being able to answer the curious mind is always a joy.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Requesting MLP enlightenment   

Back to top Go down
 

Requesting MLP enlightenment

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

 Similar topics

-
» Requesting a Charged Collection item
» Enlightenment
» Requesting unban 2
» Ninth Fleet requesting an Embassy
» To Request a Gift on your Friend's Wall: 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Star Ponies :: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic :: Pony Chatter-