Share | 

TOR, WOW in space.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Derpy
Mane
Derpy

TOR, WOW in space. Empty
PostSubject: TOR, WOW in space.   TOR, WOW in space. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 10:27 pm

"This isn't Warcraft in space!" - Terran Marine, Starcraft.

Before delving into the discussion, you should know a few things about the angle from which I am examining this issue.

First of all, Bioware's signature awesome stroryline and conversation trees which affect quests are great and obvious improvements, to which the generic MMO elements seem as distractions but without which it would just be a KOTOR 3. This article examines the issue quite well

Second, I have not played WOW and I have been having this discussion with a long term WOW player, who has not yet played TOR (or even seen it but I'll show it to him). This is why I am now seeking the viewpoints from people who have played both games.

I'd like to focus this discussion on the gameplay mechanics. It seems that every time I describe a feature of TOR my friend responds with 'WOW has that but it's called XYZ'. We have agreed that this is actually quite good since WOW players could easily adapt to TOR. The question then is; are there specific mechanics or features, beyond the story and choice aspect which make TOR unique or is it just WOW in space. It must be said that Bioware would be foolish to make a full frontal attack and challenge all the MMORPG aspects established by the King of the Hill (considering that's now actually LOL, if users are the measure Very Happy )

TL;DR: How is TOR different from WOW (besides story and choices)

P.S. This is the most nerd thing I have ever written and even if it turns out that TOR is just WOW in space, that's enough to make it better because Star Wars have lighsabers, and no sword will ever beat that Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
Rainbow Dash
Pegasus
Pegasus
Rainbow Dash

TOR, WOW in space. Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOR, WOW in space.   TOR, WOW in space. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Darth Dreselus wrote:

TL;DR: How is TOR different from WOW (besides story and choices)

When comparing WoW and SW:TOR you need to compare SW:TOR with WoW from before the first Expansion. Since SW:TOR just came out it's impossible to compare it to how WoW is now, almost 7 years later. It's the only way to ensure the comparison is fair. Even if you compare SW:TOR as it is now to Wrath of the Lich-King, the only real advantage WoW has is flying mounts.

The quests themselves are different. In WoW there are almost nothing but "go there kill that" quests. But in SW:TOR most of those quests are optional bonus quests.

The combat is also a bit different. In WoW I could just use auto-attack while doing something else on my second monitor. But in SW:TOR I constantly have to press attack to attack. I like that kind of combat. makes it more interactive.

Gathering and crafting: WoW forced you to either spend all your gold to buy from other players or spend hours searching for one particular type of ore. SW:TOR has the same but the option to ignore searching for it since you can just send a companion or five doing your work for you.

Globalization: to play WoW across the globe you need multiple accounts. One per part of the world. SW:TOR let's me in Europe play with you from America and still have fun on a European server. No extra copies of the game required!

Voiced quests. I never ever read a single quest-text on WoW. Why? It's just too boring to read about having to kill 30 rhinos... But when they act it out with voices, I actually listen to most of them.

Quest log: WoW had the entire quest-text logged in the quest log. Making it difficult to just see the one line you were looking for. In SW:TOR there are three lines. Something that makes it much faster to find the thing you need.

Space Combat: It''s a great way to do something else than the regular questing and still earn money and EXP. WoW uses the gathering system the same way. BORING!

Mods: Wow has waaay a more customizable UI and other kind of stuff that can be modded in. It's not even heard of in SW:TOR yet. Hopefully they'll add a mod system later.

Animation: WoW has quite a few bad animations for the characters. I'm holding a 200 pound hammer in one hand while standing like I was holding a feather. in SW:TOR you can see the weapon is heavy. And the attack animations are overall more fluid in SW:TOR.

World Bosses: Wow didn't have any actual world bosses the last time I checked.

That's basically all I can remember now. It's been a while since I actually played WoW.

SW:TOR could be called WoW in space at some pints. But then again: WoW is basically just Ultima Online with better graphics.
Back to top Go down
Kookamater
Filly
Filly
Kookamater

TOR, WOW in space. Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOR, WOW in space.   TOR, WOW in space. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 12:42 am

WoW did have world bosses, but they weren't really worth mentioning.

I don't even try to compare this game to WoW. I played that monolithic MMO since the first day of release, and ToR is worlds apart from it. Customizable set pieces to suit your needs, a questing system that -isn't- boring as hell, fluent and well-paced animations, a crafting and gathering system that doesn't hamper your play time..

I wouldn't worry about UI mods just yet. Warhammer Online had a really good GUI that -you- could customize without outside downloads. But there'll be UI mods for this game yet, rest assured. (though to be fair what's in it now isn't at all that bad compared to others.)
Back to top Go down
Applejack
Unicorn
Unicorn
Applejack

TOR, WOW in space. Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOR, WOW in space.   TOR, WOW in space. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 3:12 am

I've heard they are adding mods and addons soon so we'll have more UI customization and WoW had a few world bosses back in vanilla and they sorta brought them back in cata but in BC and WoTLK I don't recall any world bosses.

I would call WoW a dying game cata destroyed it when they thought we wanted to pay $60 for the x-pack and run rehashed content again. Woot I ran deadmines again at 85 its hardly any different then when I ran it back in vanilla! whats this I'm killing Nefarian again? but I cut his head off and hung it on the entrance to SW does every WoW boss in lore just grow their head back? and don't get me started on the LK if they continue WoW for a few more X packs im sure you'll end up back in ICC stopping him again... for the what 4th time now...
Back to top Go down
Wilowah
Colt
Colt
Wilowah

Location : Virginia, United States, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

TOR, WOW in space. Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOR, WOW in space.   TOR, WOW in space. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 3:50 am

The story is infinitely better and more interactive, and having consequences is great.

The equipment customization and mod system is amazing, and being able to remove them (albeit at a price) is handy.

The crafting being doable while you're questing in the world or AFK is yay.

I also like how you get to see where AoEs are being targeted during fights (especially boss fights) - I'm not sure WoW did that very well in WotLK, and I never played past that expansion.

It is also fairly easy to tell what the boss is doing that is killing everyone, IMO. And then you can adapt to work
around that.

I know addons would solve some of these issues, but that is a problem for me.

I hope Bioware never nerfs the need for CCs like WoW.
Back to top Go down
http://wilowah.tumblr.com/
Derpy
Mane
Derpy

TOR, WOW in space. Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOR, WOW in space.   TOR, WOW in space. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 7:31 am

Oh ye, Space combat, cool minigame that.

CC actually lead to some nice fight strats and I find that they are needed more and more at 25+, especially in heroics. If only some people would stop breaking them.

It makes sense to look at WOW and iron out the problems for Bioware, I love how fetch quests and kill x quests are integrated in TOR, making it into a nice little challenge which you can skip so it never feels like a chore (and let's be honest, usually you end up killing way more mobs than you need for the bonus just on your way to the waypoint).
Did Cata do away with kill x quests? I've heard something along those lines.

Mods are also great since you can pick your gear based on looks rather than stats (the waist I have now is so damn ugly, preferred the look of the last one but it wasn't orange).

It would then seem that TOR has gone along the route of evolution rather than revolution, hopefully serving as a stepping stone for upcoming MMO's and perhaps other SP RPG's since those seem to be Bioware's speciality.

Also I am surprised how good TOR looks even at the lowest settings, WOW's graphics, while ageing well are starting to get on a bit.

However, many things need improvements, but since the game is not even a month old it still has time to make amends, with tele-to-group and speech bubbles being quite crucial.

I find the UI quite good as it stands but I can't wait for some cool mods, since modding is the bread and butter of PC gaming (it is great to be back here, even if it's just for one game)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TOR, WOW in space. Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOR, WOW in space.   TOR, WOW in space. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TOR, WOW in space.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top