View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rarity
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

PostSubject: Re: WHINE: Return to Harmony Pt 1   Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:28 pm

BlastingGravy wrote:
Come on BrazenVenture, helping derail threads? As a Royal Guard, we need to set a better example than that!

After rewatching the episode (yet again), I discovered a small inconsistency in Discord's strategy.

He manipulated Applejack by convincing her that the truth was too difficult to bear.
He manipulated Pinkie Pie by convincing her that laughter was something hurtful.
He tried to manipulate Fluttershy by convincing her that kindness made her weak, helpless, and disrespected.
He manipulated Rainbow Dash by convincing her that her loyalty would have too great of a cost.

So his strategy was to convince them that their respective elements were actually harmful to them, except for Rarity. All he did to Rarity was tempt her with a diamond. He never said anything to convince her to turn against generosity. I suppose that he didn't have to, but it still seemed a bit out of place. He could have something along the lines of "Your generosity will leave you poor and destitute. Do you think your friends will care about you then?" And then he could have shown her the diamond.

It's just a thought though, what do you guys think?

I personally think that he thought he really didn't need to. And in truth, with Rarity's personality he DIDN'T need to. I do believe we have discussed this before, but to sum it up Rarity's personality is highly paradoxical. While she is greedy sometimes, and generous the next. However, her greed has never gone to extreme levels. As such the temptation was always there. However we also need to remember Rarity is the only one who actively resisted Discord's element stealing powers. She eventually failed her trial, but she did resist, where AJ, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash all gave in rather quickly. Fluttershy is the only other pony who resisted but that wasn't actively but rather just her own personality counteracting Discord, as I would say out of all of the Mane 6, apart from Twilight Fluttershy is the purest representation of her element.

Current Rariquest: Taking the butterscotch bonbons through the elusive tunnel of shining dusk.
In the end of the Beta day, I just want to use my Beta greeting, to basically say a Beta statement.
I'm tired from the tired

Mayor Mare LV26 Scoundrel Healer
Back to top Go down
Applejack
Unicorn
Unicorn

PostSubject: Re: WHINE: Return to Harmony Pt 1   Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Quote :
I personally think that he thought he really didn't need to. And in truth, with Rarity's personality he DIDN'T need to. I do believe we have discussed this before, but to sum it up Rarity's personality is highly paradoxical. While she is greedy sometimes, and generous the next. However, her greed has never gone to extreme levels. As such the temptation was always there. However we also need to remember Rarity is the only one who actively resisted Discord's element stealing powers. She eventually failed her trial, but she did resist, where AJ, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash all gave in rather quickly. Fluttershy is the only other pony who resisted but that wasn't actively but rather just her own personality counteracting Discord, as I would say out of all of the Mane 6, apart from Twilight Fluttershy is the purest representation of her element.

I think twilight, fluttershy and Rainbow Dash represent their elements well after all Rainbow Dash has a loyalty to her friends but she also has her loyalty to her home town she didn't drop her friends for herself but for a whole city wouldn't you do the same? help a few or save hundreds

Back to top Go down
Chewbacabra
Pony
Pony

PostSubject: Re: WHINE: Return to Harmony Pt 1   Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Rarity fought against Discord and lost. Fluttershy didn't know there was supposed to be a fight. ^^
Back to top Go down
Rarity
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

PostSubject: Re: WHINE: Return to Harmony Pt 1   Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:23 am

Applejack wrote:
Quote :

I think twilight, fluttershy and Rainbow Dash represent their elements well after all Rainbow Dash has a loyalty to her friends but she also has her loyalty to her home town she didn't drop her friends for herself but for a whole city wouldn't you do the same? help a few or save hundreds

Well think of it this way. Rainbow Dash knows that not only are her friend's lives on the line, but the lives of EVERYONE IN EQUESTRIA. So she's abandoning her friends, who she knows is possibly the only way to save Equestria is to defeat discord. You also need to remember that Rainbow Dash said in that VERY episode that she'd be forever loyal to Celestia. As such abandoning her friends to save Cloudsdale not only breaks her loyalty to her friends but also to her princess and her country and world. She is, in turn, sacrificing the lives and well being of her friends as well as Cloudsdale, Canterlot, Ponyville, and any other cities that exist in Equestria. If Rainbow Dash's intentions were to save hundreds as opposed to save a few then she should have stuck with her friends, as if Cloudsdale falls while she's searching for the elements that's more easily recovered from as opposed to having all of Equestria fall when she abandons the game and Discord is allowed to run free.

Current Rariquest: Taking the butterscotch bonbons through the elusive tunnel of shining dusk.
In the end of the Beta day, I just want to use my Beta greeting, to basically say a Beta statement.
I'm tired from the tired

Mayor Mare LV26 Scoundrel Healer
Back to top Go down
Pinkie Pie
Event Mane
Event Mane

PostSubject: Re: WHINE: Return to Harmony Pt 1   Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:28 am

At best, you could claim that Dash was still showing loyalty, but also incredible idiocy and gullibility.

- Kaizu
Back to top Go down
Rydel
Unicorn
Unicorn

PostSubject: Re: WHINE: Return to Harmony Pt 1   Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:31 pm

Or that she dealt with the issue that was immediately presented without thinking things through or paying attention to the consequences of her actions.
Back to top Go down
http://rydelfox.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHINE: Return to Harmony Pt 1   

Back to top Go down

WHINE: Return to Harmony Pt 1

View previous topic View next topic Back to top